Thursday, November 1, 2012

Thank You Morning Pages!

Today being the first of November, the witches' new year, I decided it was time to start a new project. I'm in a little bit of a holding pattern right now...sort of between jobs, not sure what I'm going to do next. For now, I am going to take advantage of the fact that I have a lot of time to plan and create the life I want, and one of the tools I'm using is 750words.com Today I did my first 750 word entry and in the course of coming up with 750 words (it's not as easy as it sounds!) I came up with the idea for this blog! So, already it's paying off. The idea here is creating a new recipe every day based on things I have stored in my freezers. We are big food hoarders around here, and round about this time of year the garden is mostly done and it's time to start working on the things we have preserved from the harvest (and before) I have a pretty good freezer inventory system written up on a white board, and my plan is to try to cross off one thing every day. That might be a little ambitious as I tend to cook in larger batches than necessary, so it might be every other day. As we are currently living on one income and have been blessed with some pretty serious bounty, it shouldn't be too hard to stick to the plan and use what we have. When possible, I want to create new recipes or combinations that I can then share. Sometimes I am sure I'll use other people's recipes, but I plan to keep good notes and share pictures whenever possible. My food predilections: we are very committed to local, sustainable, organic foods. We eat a fair amount of meat but it is sourced from farmers we know and trust. I try to think about nutritional balance as something to be achieved over the course of a day---I know we need to eat more of the vegetables we tend in our garden all summer long. I lean toward the healthy natural fats end of the spectrum versus low fat adulterated anything, especially dairy. I rely on cheese and bead perhaps a little too much, and need to try to break away from that. This journey will hopefully be one of discipline and discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment